Friday, January 4, 2008

Mixed Results from Craigslist

Yesterday started out as one of those days that you dream about on Craigslist. You create what you think is a great ad, then post about 100 of them, with a slight variance all around the country. The best part is that they all stick!

I've been asked by a few, how much time I spend doing this. Am I spending all my waking hours just posting in Craigslist? Heck, I don't know. So yesterday I actually got out a clock with a second hand and timed myself. 99 posts on Craigslist in 90 minutes. So about a post per minute. Again, is that worth it? I guess it all depends on what kind of ads you write and what kind of response you are getting.

My results from yesterday are kind of mixed. When I started this I was sure that I would find some corelations between the amount a visitors that I receive, and the number of opt-ins I get. I added Googe Adsense to my sites just as an extra bonus. And it seems to have worked well. I also thought that Adsense revenue would be a direct reflection of the amount of visitors that I see on a daily basis.

Well, nothing is black and white here. Everything seems to be in various shades of grey. As far as traffic is concerned, it was an awful day. I only received something like 270 visitors yesterday. 270 visitors out of 99 postings is my personal worst day yet! However, I really don't care how many visitors I get, I care about how much money I make. And out of those 270 visitors, I received approximately 40 opt-ins, and $32 in Adsense revenue!!!

So I guess, on a percentage basis, yesterday was my best day ever. If you're looking at traffic received from my ads posted on Craigslist, it was my worst day ever. This is a crazy business:-)

Draw whatever conclusions you would like from this. Luck. Fate. My ad that was posted on Craigslists qualified the people better, therefore less people clicked through, but the quality of visitors was much greater. I don't know, in all likelihood it was probably a combination of all three!

Bottom line - advertising by posting on Craigslist is working for me.

No comments: